This is a seven-part learning series with Claire Roberts on feline-specific anaesthesia.
In 2018, the American Association of Feline Practitioners (AAFP) published the first feline-specific anaesthesia guidelines in the Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery. This series looks at these guidelines and how they relate to feline anaesthesia in the practice setting.
Cats undergoing anaesthesia are at a relatively greater risk of complications and mortality than many other species and veterinary nurses can make a huge difference in how we manage these patients: reducing perioperative stress and implementing cat-friendly anaesthesia.
Topics covered include:
- Use and care of equipment
- Pre-anaesthetic assessments
- Management of fearful cats for anaesthesia
- How age can affect anaesthetic management
- How certain comorbidities can affect anaesthesia
- Anaesthesia and sedation
- Airway management
- Monitoring during anaesthesia and dealing with perioperative complications
- Anaesthetic recovery
In association with...