£245.00 + VAT (Non-Member price)
£0 +VAT (Member price)Find out more about our Membership plans
This highly interactive course with Charlotte Russo will guide veterinary professionals through the vital steps of establishing an in-house blood donation service, whilst improving knowledge in all aspects of transfusion medicine.
Transfusion medicine is becoming increasingly prevalent and continually evolving in veterinary practice. Sourcing blood products, particularly for feline patients, can pose challenges, and the potential for life-threatening adverse reactions during transfusions can make the task daunting.
Despite the complexities, caring for transfusion patients can be exceptionally fulfilling. Using both theory and practical sessions, this interactive course is designed to provide you with the tools to confidently manage transfusion patients and attain a practical understanding of conducting blood donations with safety and effectiveness in mind, thereby enhancing capacity to provide life-saving care.
Topics to be covered include:
- Donor criteria: What makes the perfect donor?
- Blood donor recruitment strategies
- Canine and feline blood donation (including technique, equipment required, donor suitability and welfare)
- Blood types and blood typing
- Blood product storage
- Preparing blood products for transfusion
- Preparing the patient for transfusion (including calculating required volume and transfusion plan)
- Alternative transfusion therapies including xenotransfusions and autotransfusions.
N.B. A practical session on blood typing will involve donation of blood samples. Bring along your own pet's blood sample if you would like to find out their blood type.
In association with...