£295.00 + VAT (Non-Member price)
£147.50 +VAT (Member price)Find out more about our Membership plans
This one-day interactive course with Sophie McMurrough aims to give nurses the skills they need to play an active and engaging role in sample collection and analysis, using a combination of both theory and practical laboratory sessions.
RVNs deal with different types of laboratory samples every day in practice, and it is essential that they are trained in sample collection, handling and quality analysis to prevent degradation of the sample and laboratory error which can lead to inaccurate or delayed diagnosis and treatment. A good knowledge of laboratory values & understanding the importance of some key results can also play a large part in leading to improved patient care.
- Learn about correct sample handling and its importance in reaching a diagnosis
- Put your nursing skills to use and get the most out of your laboratory
- Learn about the common tests we run including renal and hepatic analysis
- Gain a better understanding of why we perform the tests, what they mean and how we can apply them to nursing
Practical sessions on:
- Setting up a microscope for inhouse use
- Blood smear practice
- Microscope analysis of blood and urine samples
- Performing fine needle aspirates (FNA's) and punch biopsies
- Tips and tricks for successful blood sample collection
- Placement of a male dog urinary catheter
*Please Note: This is a cadaver-based course*