Practical Orthopaedic Surgical Nursing
204 Manor Place,
London. SE17 3BN
This course is aimed at nurses with an interest in all aspects of orthopaedic surgical nursing, from theatre through to recovery or those wishing to improve their knowledge as a scrubbed assistant. Split into practical and theoretical sessions, we will be looking at all things surgical from patient care, to clipping and getting to grips with all that kit!
Theoretical sessions will aim at refreshing your knowledge of surgical principles, asepsis, peri, intra and post-operative patient considerations and home care advise for owners. The practical element of this course will focus on the roles of the scrubbed assistant, identifying orthopaedic instruments & implants whilst learning their uses, how to handle, sterilise and care for all that kit.
Topics to be covered include:
- Refresh of surgical principles and asepsis
- Practical demonstrations of instruments, implants, patient positioning and draping
- Surgical patient preparation, clipping parameters and prepping
- Peri-operative, intra-operative and post-operative patient care
- Wound care including use of antibiotics
- Home care