An interactive one-day course with specialist Mike Davies, providing vets and vet nurses with the tools to safely advise clients on the intricacies of their pet’s nutritional requirements and on plant-based and novel protein sources.
Treating our patients holistically has become more vital than ever as client expectations and values evolve, with nutrition playing a significant role. Some clients are considering ‘alternative’ or plant-based foods, whether for health, ethical or environmental reasons and this course will provide you with the knowledge to be able to confidently discuss with clients what diets are appropriate for our patients’ well-being, and in what circumstances it is safe to deviate from the more traditional offerings.
Through interactive and theory-based sessions, basic nutrition will be revised, including how to calculate nutritional requirements for individual patients, before exploring specific novel diet choices and when and how these can be introduced to patients to provide a safe and balanced diet.
Topics to be covered include:
- An overview of basic nutrition
- Types of pet foods including novel protein sources
- Revision on the essential amino acids dogs require, including interactive sessions allowing delegates to put them together from non meat sources
- Homemade rations
- Raw meat-based foods for dogs and cats
- Fibre in foods
- Grain-free foods
- Health benefits of plant-based foods
In association with...